Located just to the north of Dufftown in Speyside, Convalmore was founded in June of 1893 by the Convalmore-Glenlivet Distillery Company. In March of 1904, it was purchased by blender and whisky merchant W & P Lowrie & Co, who used the whisky in their ‘Black and White’ blend. However, following an economic downtown in the whisky market, Lowrie experienced some difficulty selling matured whisky. The majority of the company shares were acquired by Lowrie-customer James Buchanan and two years later and Buchanan used Convalmore in his own blends. The distillery was rebuilt in 1909 folloing a disastrous fire which ravaged the malt barn and mash house.
In 1910, the owners experimented with a Coffey Still, though it was removed five years later after it was discovered that continuously distilled spirit, known as ‘silent malt’, had an impaired maturation. During the Second World War, the distillery played host to a detachment of the 51st Highland Division and later a detachment from the 52nd Lowland Division. Closing in 1985, Convalmore was sold to United Distillers in 1987 and then in 1990 to William Grant and Sons, owners of Balvenie and Glenfiddich. William Grant and Sons intended to use the distillery for warehousing. Only two official bottlings have been released but there are several independent bottlings including expressions from Signatory and Cadenhead.